Thursday, August 20, 2009

Goodbye Dear Friend


“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”


-Stand by Me


This is a quote that resonates with a lot of people as it seems to be a universal truth.


I like to think of the people I grew up with as friends that held a piece of the jigsaw puzzle that put together the man I am today. Each person who held a piece had a hand in the final product. Even if it was just a small piece, an edge perhaps, if they were in my circle of friends they held pieces integral to this picture being as it sits today.


I look back at those formative years and I may not be cognizant of exactly the interplay that went on from them to me but I do recognize it as familiar. When I see people from my past I have this knowing nod as if to say “Hey it’s you. You, who helped put me together.”


Perhaps that is what they mean in the movie. Perhaps that is why we don’t have friends like that anymore. The picture was eventually finished and became the construct of our very lives. We simply show it around to new suitors as if to say “Hope you like it because basically...it is what it is”.


That is not to say you won’t have great friends later in life. It simple means they aren’t the same kinds.


Some of my closer friends growing up had many many pieces. They helped fill in large gaping holes that were under construction and a work in progress since I took my first steps. These individuals are hallmarks of the life we are living now and will continue to live within us in perpetuity.


I lost such and individual on Tuesday.


We hadn’t connected as much over the past few years as our pictures went in different directions. Life has a way of doing that. Regardless, that young man held so many damn pieces of me his name would’ve been on the box.


For a full decade we were virtually inseparable and he brought vibrance and texture to my otherwise ordinary puzzle. He made me a better man. I challenged him on religion and politics and he countered with character and integrity. Can’t help but feel I was an unfair beneficiary.


Stanley Roy Sinton died Tuesday.


He died from Cancer ...and I can’t help but feel a strange sorrow in losing him forever. I will never again see my friend. I will never again see that little fella with all those familiar puzzle pieces strew about him. And it makes me so very sad.


10 comments:

  1. Goosebumps, Brilliant, Touching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put Kevin - Stan was such an integral part of my life - I am honoured to have been his friend - he was always my confidante, my sounding board, my dearest friend - we had recently been discussing plans for my visit back to Ontario and trying to coordinate a time to get together so he could meet my 5 month old son - unfortunately my plans were delayed until the fall and it never came to fruition. I think our hearts will all be a little heavier, a little emptier and a lot sadder as we navigate our lives now without Stan here. You summed it up beautifully - it too, makes me so very sad. Bec Patton

    ReplyDelete
  3. The puzzle metaphor is a good one. We are a product of our pieces! Fortunately, we were lucky to have all the pieces to that puzzle... and have started a new one, but the old one remains intact hanging on a special wall, in that special place!

    It's funny I haven't seen him in a few years, our path diverged in a yellow wood, but I can hear his laughter and lust for life filling the void that has been left behind... I choose to remember him that way... oh and all the other ways that I can't mention here!!!! Watty-Cock Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the loss of your long time friend Kev. I too have experienced the loss of friends I grew up with and it is never easy and your right, the friends we grow up with are a different breed. Deepest sympathies bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend everyone take the time and read this blog as I feel it is just perfect! Kevin, you are a wonderful person and friend to all! Thanks again for posting it as I think many who read it will find the comfort and support that so many are needing at this most difficult time in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice Kev. I’ve been very melancholy and conflicted this week. As I look at pictures of the memories of youth gone by. I have this hilarious pic that you may have even taken. Its of Owens, Buck and I in my old room, on Shanty Bay Road, sitting on my waterbed, and it’s one of the gayest pic’s ive ever seen!. Yet it gives me emotions I just can’t really quantify.
    I also hadn’t connected with Buck, for me, in a very long time. Truth be told,he pissed me off in adulthood. Nobody could run their mouth quite like ol’buckie. But on days like this, thinkn of days gone by, wishing i would have just talked to him about things. Just called him an asshole and he woulda done the same to me, and then we would have laughed at each other, forgiveness for everything is instantaneous and everything would have been just fine - I am certain of it. That’s what friends should do. I have regret and that will be yet another burden i must live with. I will remember him as a good friend. Thanks for this bubs, I love ya. Bitchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kevin, Another great person to "CANCER" so pissed !! All we have now are memories Stan was an awesome friend and will not soon be forgotten I will drink WILD TURKEY in your honour STANLEY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kevin, What you stated was so true....I moved around my entire life because of my Fathers job with Scotiabank. I moved to Barrie after losing one of my best friends in 1983...I can state that she has been in my thoughts through out the ups and downs of this journey we call life. The friends you have when you are young (innocent) and wide eyed are pieces to an extrodinary life we now call our existance....Thank you for reminding me that although we may all go in different directions..we will always have those days when we really had friends that "Stood By us" no matter what...before we became, parents, employees, car owners, home owners, spouses...eulogizing Stan in such a wonderful way has and will keep his memory alive for so many that were lucky enough to be as close to him as you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kev,
    Well put. Having known Stan since I have been old enough to retain a memory your words stongly hit home. I have had a very tough time this week as I have lost someone who, outside my immediate family, knows more about my entire life than anyone. The milestones we shared together growing up I am happy to claim as my own personal memories yet look forward to one day sharing them with his kids should they want to sit and watch hours of Chuck Norris movies with me. As you know Stan was extremely loyal to family and friends and I can only hope that my own boys will find a friendship that I enjoyed with my friend Stan for 37 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the very kind words Teen.
    I know how close you were with Roy Bec and I hope you are well.
    Him slaping his knees when laughing is classic stuff to remember Watty C. Jr.
    Thank you Lee
    Great love Anita...thanks.
    Very well put Bitchy.
    Exactly the plan Tammy baby.
    Bo you are his oldest friend and I thought of you many times writing this...lots of pieces to you puzzle.
    To all that have read and sent their love...I thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete